41 Pounds wants to help you and help the environment by eliminating junk mail (the name, if you haven’t already guessed, is the average amount of junk mail each person receives each year). For just $41 dollars, 41 Pounds will remove your name from the mailing list of the top five junk mail mailers for five years. Plus, “over half the profits from each sale go to not for profit organizations such as environmental organizations, local schools and youth groups”. Still not convinced? How about a few facts:
- Each person will receive almost 560 pieces of junk mail this year.
- More than 4 million tons (62 billion pieces) of junk mail are produced yearly.
- Approximately 44% of all junk mail goes to a landfill unopened.
- It costs $550 million yearly to transport junk mail.
- The production and disposal of junk mail consumes more energy than 2.8 million cars.
- 100 million trees are ground up each year for unsolicited mail.
- 28 billion gallons of water are wasted each year on paper processing.
- If you cut your bulk mail for five years, you’ll conserve 1.7 trees, 700 gallons of water, and prevent 460 pounds of carbon dioxide from being released into the air.
[Via: Josh Spear]