Being interesting is an interesting concept, because it’s not usually something that can easily be pinned down and formulized. Russell Davies put together a list of 10 things you can do to be more interesting, and I must say it’s a pretty interesting list (ok, I’ll stop with the interestings, but it is a very interesting word). Here’s the short version:
- Take at least one picture everyday. Post it to Flickr.
- Start a blog. Write at least one sentence every week.
- Keep a scrapbook
- Every week, read a magazine you’ve never read before
- Once a month interview someone for 20 minutes, work out how to make them interesting. Podcast it.
- Collect something
- Once a week sit in a coffee shop or cafe for an hour and listen to other people’s conversations. Take notes. Blog about it. (Carefully)
- Every month write 50 words about one piece of visual art, one piece of writing, one piece of music and one piece of film or TV. Do other art forms if you can. Blog about it
- Make something
Though it’s probably a pretty time consuming endeavor to add all of these things to your daily/weekly routine, no one ever said being interesting was going to be easy. Even just doing a couple of these though, you’re sure to spark up a few new conversations that you never though possible, and that’s always a good thing. Interesting.