Apple might make you pay a dollar per song that you want to use as a ringtone on your new iPhone, but there’s a way to create custom ringtones using only Apple software that costs just a few extra minutes of your time.
- Open GarageBand.
- Drag a song from your iTunes library into the GarageBand window to create a new track.
- Click the Cycle Region button.
- Adjust the yellow bar to the edges of the part of the song that you would like to use. (It must be less than 40 seconds in length.)
- If the song is short enough, iTunes can automatically select the appropriate length to convert into a ringtone.
- Once you’ve got your region selected, simply go to Share -> Send Ringtone to iTunes, and GarageBand will convert and then add your new ringtone to iTunes’ ringtone section automatically.
- Sync your iPhone, and rejoice at your newly acquired ability to add any song as a ringtone.
It’s that easy.